Net sales for the third quarter of fiscal 2016 were
Net sales for the first nine months of fiscal 2016 were
"Sanderson Farms' financial results for the third quarter of fiscal 2016
reflect a continued favorable balance of the supply and demand for fresh
chicken sold to retail grocery store customers," said
According to Sanderson, compared with the third fiscal quarter of 2015,
"We continue to be pleased with progress at our new
This press release includes forward-looking statements within the
meaning of the "safe harbor" provisions of the Private Securities
Litigation Reform Act of 1995, as amended. Forward-looking
statements are based on a number of assumptions about future events and
are subject to various risks, uncertainties and other factors that may
cause actual results to differ materially from the views, beliefs,
projections and estimates expressed in such statements. These risks,
uncertainties and other factors include, but are not limited to, those
discussed under "Risk Factors" in the Company's Annual Report on Form
10-K for the year ended
(1) Changes in the market price for the Company's finished products and feed grains, both of which may fluctuate substantially and exhibit cyclical characteristics typically associated with commodity markets.
(2) Changes in economic and business conditions, monetary and fiscal
policies or the amount of growth, stagnation or recession in the global
(3) Changes in the political or economic climate, trade policies, laws and regulations or the domestic poultry industry of countries to which the Company or other companies in the poultry industry ship product, and other changes that might limit the Company's or the industry's access to foreign markets.
(4) Changes in laws, regulations, and other activities in government agencies and similar organizations applicable to the Company and the poultry industry and changes in laws, regulations and other activities in government agencies and similar organizations related to food safety.
(5) Various inventory risks due to changes in market conditions, including, but not limited to, the risk that market values of live and processed poultry inventories might be lower than the cost of such inventories requiring a downward adjustment to record the value of such inventories at the lower of cost or market as required by generally accepted accounting principles.
(6) Changes in and effects of competition, which is significant in all markets in which the Company competes, and the effectiveness of marketing and advertising programs. The Company competes with regional and national firms, some of which have greater financial and marketing resources than the Company.
(7) Changes in accounting policies and practices adopted voluntarily
by the Company or required to be adopted by accounting principles
generally accepted in
(8) Disease outbreaks affecting the production, performance and/or marketability of the Company's poultry products, or the contamination of its products.
(9) Changes in the availability and cost of labor and growers.
(10) The loss of any of the Company's major customers.
(11) Inclement weather that could hurt Company flocks or otherwise adversely affect its operations, or changes in global weather patterns that could affect the supply of feed grains.
(12) Failure to respond to changing consumer preferences and negative media campaigns.
(13) Failure to successfully and efficiently start up and run a new plant or integrate any business the Company might acquire.
Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on forward-looking
statements made by or on behalf of
Condensed Consolidated Statements of Operations
|(In thousands, except per share amounts)|
Three Months Ended
Nine Months Ended
|Costs and expenses:|
|Cost of sales||598,563||612,761||1,731,900||1,716,529|
|Selling, general and administrative||44,565||47,339||114,898||114,947|
|Other income (expense):|
|Income before income taxes||84,521||79,292||177,265||290,860|
|Income tax expense||29,805||28,411||64,266||102,230|
|Basic earnings per share||$||2.42||$||2.27||$||5.01||$||8.28|
|Diluted earnings per share||$||2.42||$||2.27||$||5.01||$||8.28|
|Dividends per share||$||0.22||$||0.22||$||0.66||$||0.66|
Condensed Consolidated Balance Sheets
|Cash and cash equivalents||$||242,980||$||196,659|
|Accounts receivable, net||118,627||112,924|
|Refundable income taxes||---||16,414|
|Deferred income taxes||3,637||4,709|
|Prepaid expenses and other current assets||37,557||33,331|
|Total current assets||630,478||562,790|
|Property, plant and equipment||1,430,451||1,318,530|
|Less accumulated depreciation||(681,532||)||(636,196||)|
|LIABILITIES AND STOCKHOLDERS' EQUITY|
|Accrued income taxes||12,234||---|
|Current maturities of long-term debt||---||10,000|
|Total current liabilities||154,801||161,247|
|Deferred income taxes and other liabilities||79,334||52,853|
|Commitments and contingencies|
|Total stockholders' equity||1,142,283||1,029,861|
|Total liabilities and stockholders' equity||$||1,384,818||$||1,251,461|
(1)The Condensed Consolidated Balance Sheet at
Treasurer & Chief Financial Officer
News Provided by Acquire Media